Thursday, July 26, 2012

Instruments Nomenclature Cards

Everyday is a busy day over here.  Busy getting ready for a new year.  I get excited every time I get finished with something new like this set of  free Instrument Nomenclature Cards.
Instruments Nomenclature Cards
click on picture to link to file
This set is more than a beginner set.  I wanted to make a set that included orchestral instruments and world instruments all in one.  This is by no means an exhaustive look at instruments, but there are over 60 instruments represented.  You can decide which one you want to include in your own classroom.

I am lucky to teach where I have access to many, many of these instruments in the the facility.  During the year there are professional hands on demonstrations for many of the larger instruments and the smaller instruments are rotated between classrooms.  For the instruments that we do not have on site - such as the organ, and harpsichord, I give parents a list of places they can take their child to have experience with them.  Many local symphonies give opportunities for children to meet and hear instruments during the year.  Looking on the symphony's website or calling will help you to find out if they make this kind of thing available in your area.

I will not place all the cards out in the same place, or at the same time.  I will integrate many of these cards into continent work (every peopled continent is represented), with specific instruments that are on the shelves for use.  I suggest that teachers do their own research about the instruments here, where they originated, their integration into western music, and how are they used today.  During my own research it has been eye opening for me.  For example... it was interesting to learn that cymbals came from Turkey, and that they became all the rage in classical music after they were discovered by western composers.  Music is an incredibly fascinating subject.  We can see how the world changed and became more interconnected through things like the history of musical instruments.

7 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't be able to do what I do without you. You are such a blessing to me and the kids!! Your hard work is very well appreciated here. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To see that my work can make such a difference for others is so rewarding to me. Best of luck in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Discovering Montessori! Thank you so much for all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so welcome Sasha! I love your blog over at tothelesson. I have gotten so many wonderful and carefully though out ideas from you... and thank you for you great post about us there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you! I work in a toddler environment and will happily be adapting these for the children's use - I appreciate your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful set that I happened to stumble upon! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete