Sunday, November 3, 2013

Montessori Botany Primary Parts of Cards - Update!!!

During my new training this summer I learned so much, and have had to adjust my thinking and approach in some ways as I have been stretched.  I am so grateful to have had this opportunity to become a better educator and guide for my children.

As a result of the training I have learned more about the Parts of Cards.  My lovely and VERY knowledgable queen of a trainer, Teresa, spoke about why it is important for primary Montessori classes (3-6 years) to have the isolation of the difficulty in red.  First, our eyes are drawn to red.  This was, of course, not new information for me.  But more importantly, when a child is making their own parts of booklets and they have to keep changing pencils to color, let's say, the horse's legs in dark brown, off white, and light brown for the hooves... the child is actually paying more attention to the COLORS instead of the part they are learning about.  We also discussed which parts are appropriate to focus on for the primary class as opposed to the elementary class.  They should be more simple.  For example, when making Parts of Cards for the fish we will show all the fins together and call them just fins instead of separating them as the caudal fin, pelvic fin, pectoral fin and so forth.

The light bulb went off in my head, I understood it in my heart, and then I groaned within myself.  I knew that all the parts of cards that I have been making and posting on this blog have been geared toward ELEMENTARY and not primary!!  I also knew that I would need to remake my cards for the children's sake.  It took me a couple of weeks to really get my soul prepared... and then I went to work.

part of the fruit of my efforts are in this post.  I am actually excited now to make more.  I have been wanting to make parts of cards for tools, the house, and other things like cars, planes and trains that some of my students are fascinated with.

You will note that Botany and Zoology cards have a colored line around them.  I have considered this idea for a long time, but wasn't sure how I really felt about it.  Now I am ready to roll with it.  Another thing to note is that I have done these cards in D'nealian only.  I will not lie that it is my preferred font for parts of and nomenclature cards and I am not ready to do the print font yet.

This is a living and changing experience for me and it follows as the night the day that my blog will also change.

Botany Parts of Cards


Primary Parts of the Plant Cards - red isolation
click on picture to link to file
Primary Parts of the Tree Cards - red isolation
click on picture to link to file
Primary Parts of the Leaf Cards - red isolation
click on picture to link to file
Primary Parts of the Flower Cards - red isolation
click on picture to link to file
Primary Parts of the Fruit Cards - red isolation
click on picture to link to file
Primary Parts of the Seed Cards - red isolation
click on picture to link to file

15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much!!! This helps me so much in my homeschooling adventure with my child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these! They are beautiful and we are already loving them!!! I am not a true homeschool mom...my child goes to a 1/2 day preschool program (she is extremely social) that I feel supplements what I do at home. Your resources have been incredibly helpful!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thanx for this nice pics i will use them in my program for school where we have to describe how we want to solve the world by planting some trees and other things.
    many thanks from
    Diana gartenzaun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get this comment, as a homeschooling mom of an autistic son, I feel so blessed to have access to your FREE cards!! We are obviously a 1 income household, and money is needless to say super tight. Thank you for your hard work on all the printables so that others like me can give our children a top notch education!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am blown away by your generosity. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I downloaded the parts of a tree and parts of a leaf. Thank you so much for these beautiful freebies! My co-workers thought that I'd ordered them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing all of your beautiful materials - it is very generous of you

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so nice! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just what I was looking for, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much.. great help.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello first, thanks for all the wonderful materials. I tried downloading the tree and it says no file as it is in the owners bin. No idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stumbled upon your blog - I really appreciated reading your honest reflection and the process you have gone through in your learning. Love the materials.

    ReplyDelete